Friday 2 September 2011

Day Two_14_August_2011

Mannlichen

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and onto the Lauberhorn

I took the train to Grindelwald without a plan, as the earlier sun was being replaced by cloudier conditions.   On approaching the village I spotted the gondola which runs from Grund to Mannlichen, apparently the longest in Europe, and decided to use it to access an area where there was some easy walking if the weather continued to deteriorate.
The village was busy and some of the streets were closed off for a cycle race. After visiting the local Coop to pick up my lunch I descended to Grund where I caught the gondola to Mannlichen. The ride apparently takes thirty minutes but I wasn’t timing it as I was in no rush. Below me mountain bikers were ascending and descending the tracks.
On alighting at the top station the area was rather busy, especially outside the hotel where tourists were watching the Swiss dancers.  I strolled along the path to and climbed the mountain Mannlichen at 2342 metres in height. I had excellent views which included Wengen, the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Schilthorn which I had climbed the previous day.
Afterwards I returned to the gondola station and took the marked trail for Klein Scheidegg. The route was busy with walkers and the clattering of cow bells as there were various herds feeding beside the track and in the valley below.  Beyond Klein Scheidegg were the snow covered imposing mountains of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger.
On approaching Klein Scheidegg it started to rain so on arrival at the station I found some shelter for lunch. However the rain was short lived and the cloud began to lift and break up so I decided to add an ascent of the Lauberhorn to my day’s outing.
I followed a marked path from Klein Scheidegg to the top of the Wixi ski tow, where the building also operated as a small restaurant. The route continued along the ridge passed the top of the Lauberhorn ski tow and onto its summit at 2472 metres. There were a couple of bench seats at the summit so it was time to relax and take in the awesome views.
I spent a while on the summit as it was very peaceful with no one else around. On my return to the restaurant at the top of the Wexi tow I met a couple ascending the mountain. Here I decided to vary my return to Klein Scheidegg and followed another marked trail south, passed the Russi Jump, to the farm at Rinderhitta. Here cattle are kept on the ground floor of the building while the farmer and his family sleep upstairs. The path then followed the line of the mountainside back to Klein Scheidegg where I caught the train to Grindelwald.

Time taken - 4.25 hours.
Distance - 9 kilometres.
Ascent 530 metres.

Photos taken on walk.